Photos of My Daylilies
Here are pictures of most of the daylilies I grow. Some of them have not bloomed for me yet! I will try to keep adding my new daylilies as I get their pretty faces on film. I hope these beauties can serve as an inspiration for all those daylily collectors out there!

Click here to see daylilies with names starting with:
A-D       E-H      I-L       M-P       Q-Z

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Visit to Jack Carpenter's Lily Farm

Best Blogger Tips
Jack Carpenter's Lily Farm
The Lily Farm

Today, I bit the bullet and went to visit Jack Carpenter at his daylily farm here in Texas. His place is about four hours away from where I live, so I left at 6am this morning!

I was ready to be happy and be in dayliliville, but NOTHING had prepared me for what I saw... OH MY GOD! It was daylily heaven. There were daylilies as far as the eye could see... On and on the rows went.






Josie came out in the golf cart and saw my mouth agape, and that dazed look in my eyes... she knew right away I was new to their farm! :o) She instructed me in how it worked, which was:

1) Go pick out some little plant marking flags (I figured I needed about 5 - HA! that was a joke, I was outta flags in five minutes!)

2) Wander through daylily heaven, and mark the daylilies you might like to have. Jack came along at this point, and guided me to the proper beds to pick some things out. You see, there are some beds that are going to be NEW introductions and some that are being evaluated (you can tell those by the BLUE flags). Thankfully, we snuck around the "blue" beds too... :o)

3) At the point where you have exhausted ALL the flags in their bucket, and have inspected every daylily - you can hardly walk another step, they come around and pick you up in the golf cart, and then you get to discuss DAYLILIES! Whaaa Whoooo!

Jack and Josie drove me all over the farm - I had some in mind that I wanted (or at LEAST wanted to see), and I had marked quite a few! It was so fun listening to Jack tell me about his flowers, and he pointed out quite a few of his favorites, and picked some of the blooms for me.



(The blooms in the photo are: Land Of Our Fathers, Texas Kaleidoscope, Pat Soileau, Ohio Discovery, Texas Feathered Fancy, and an unnamed gold sculpted seedling)

He answered every question I had, and showed me examples of the flowers I had questions about. As we went around, he also let me know what was on sale, and what was available. There were so many seedlings on sale for $25/clump! I couldn't believe it!

Without further ado - on with the show!!

*****************
NAMED CV'S:



Beauty of the King


Cosmic Kaleidoscope - Going to be a new intro:


Delware Doosy


Forever Redeemed


Freedom's Triumph



Glory in Red


Morning Breaks Eternal


Mount Herman Intrigue


No Greater Love


Red Dynamite


Sassy Sam


Sunrise Sunset Beautiful


Texas Blue Eyes


Texas Painted Eyes


Timeless Majesty


Triangular Tricksy


Warrior Victorius



*****************
SEEDLINGS:






The next three I tried to get... but those darned blue flags kept getting in the way!
















Couldn't get this one!















*****************
MY PURCHASES:


And then there are the ones I got. Yippe!!! Man, were those hard decisions. I ended up leaving flags out in the field, because I just couldn't buy anymore! I guess there is always next year! :o) Broke the bank for sure! Now, keep in mind that the Carpenter's were having an open house, and a lot of what I bought was on sale... otherwise there was no way I could have afforded what I got. Now, THIS is the way to buy daylilies! I even managed to sneak away with three of Jack's seedlings... :o)

Plum Eyed Delight


Ivory Finesse


Lavender Exaltation


Levi Davis


Moments Rich in Blessing


Dr. Julius Charba


Here is a picture of the clump I got - pictured after I got home


Bonus - Ellis Powell


I also got two more seedlings, Royal Passion, and Texas Feathered Fancy... but I guess I got distracted and didn't get a picture of them in the field.

I did get a flower of TFF - so I took a picture when I got home



And here is a very beaten up flower from one of the seedlings (after I got home)



And a bad picture of Royal Passion, after it had been dug



As we were driving around, I got to pick them out as we went. Then Jack's assistant, Jose, dug them with a shovel and they they went into the back of the golf cart. I don't speak too much spanish, but enough to know what Mr. Carpenter kept telling Jose... Mas Grande! Boy did those two words make me very happy! And mas grande they were! Here they all are... I think I went a little crazy from the smell of daylilies and all the heat! :o)

(YES, those ARE the gigantic 55 gallon trashbags stuffed FULL)



The high that came from the smell of daylilies lasted all the way home... But, about 1 hour from the house, I started to panic. Where in the love of god am I goint to get pots big enough for these monsters? I would have to plant them in 5 gallon buckets. Pots just weren't going to work here. Thankfully, the daylily buzz gave me enough energy to plant them after a quick break from the drive.

Here they are at home... waiting to be free!



After I lugged the bags into the backyard, I still couldn't believe how BIG the clumps were... so I took a picture of one next to my leg and by the door, so you could see that they are HIP high! No WONDER ya'll like to buy straight from the farm!




Seedling Clump


Whew... and if an 8 hour drive and 2 hours on the farm wasn't enough... I managed to get them planted.





I just could have kicked myself in the Butt - REAL hard! I broke off a huge scape from Dr. Julius Charba while I was planting... I hope some will bloom in water! It even had a prolif. So SAD! (That is a 30" Ruler)!!



And the last note on the new flowers... Moments Rich in Blessing came home with a pod on it!!! Bonus!

Here are some pics of the flowers Jack picked for me - now keep in mind this is after a four hour car ride home, and after a full days bloom, so they are not looking too hot. But, I wanted you to be able to really get an idea of the colors we are looking at!

Texas Painted Eyes


Gold Seedling


Land Of Our Fathers - couldn't get this one quite right...


Ohio Discovery


Pat Soileau


Here are some more shots of the the farm:








Hope you enjoyed the show!

2 Post your comments:

Perfect Pair!! said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

So, can you tell me what your total cost was? Am I understanding correctly that each "clump" or plant was $25? Surely I am misunderstanding since I can go to Galloway's Nursery and pay much less.
Thanks for the clarification on the pricing. I am planning on planting a lot of day lilies this year.

Michelle said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Hi Gina,
Yes, I paid $25 for the large clumps of daylilies. I am actually a collector and these plants are relatively new. You can definitely get daylilies cheaper as there are many, many lovely older varieties that will add beauty to your garden. I have many of those as well. But, I am interested in some of the newer forms and colors as I hybridize with my plants.

Just be careful that you are actually buying "true bred" plants, and not tissue cultured plants (from a lab). It is hard to tell them apart when they are growing in a large box store (Walmart etc.), but the tissue cultures are inferior plants. They will not bloom true to the parent plant they cultured them from, and usually have some vigor issues. Calloway's has nice stock, and I would bet they are not tissue cultured.

As you buy your new daylilies this year, just be careful! You may become an addict like me! :o)

Post a Comment

Best Blogger Tips